Saturday, May 25, 2013

Here's Your Sign

This will be a short but feel good piece. Don't get use to it as I am sure within the next few days things will return back to normal on base and I will have more ludicrous things to discuss.  But for now, I'll keep this lighthearted and uplifting.  I do have a bit of a rant to include that I will save for last but I will keep it short and to the point.

First, I would really like to thank everyone who has so far shared this website with others that they know. I'm actually friends with many of you and so each time I saw another share show up on my feed, I was thrilled. I was very careful who I slipped the URL to and it seemed to have spread like wildfire. I did get a good laugh each and every time I saw someone wondering who I was. As of yet, nobody has messaged me and asked if I am indeed "Jane Doe" so I guess I did it right.  I was touched to see my writing described with such words as "genuine and honest" and "genius". I am touched beyond words and hope that the reception will continue to remain positive. I'll more than likely piss a few of you off from time to time - it's the nature of the beast when approaching some of the topics I plan on writing about - but please know ahead of time it's nothing personal. I just know that I will not always be able to go with the flow of the most popular opinions.

Now - on to greener pastures.

Today I was really surprised to see all the outpouring of compassion that many of you ladies are showing today. Not that I did not believe the people of Edwards were capable of compassion but more times than not, I see bickering and discourse among the ranks. I cannot tell you how many times today I saw Britta's pooch Onyx on my wall feed as people shared the link to donate money towards his medical care. I also saw the outpouring of love and support for Angelica Palomino as she deals with a difficult time in her life. Finally, over and over I saw members of Edwards Security Forces change their facebook profile picture in support and memory of a young man lost in the early morning hours on Thursday.
Security Forces stand of unity in tribute to Fernando Flores

 Sometimes I see people make posts in "support" to things that seem so saccharin in nature that the taste of it reeks of attention seeking. I'm sure you've seen the postings - every time a national tragedy hits they start posting to arrange something. Many times, you see the postings but never anything that comes from it. Or there's always some hard knock story about someone obscure that nobody knows in dire emergency that someone asks for immediate handouts for. But I did not see that today. Today you ladies pulled through - at last count you have generously given 40 dollars toward Onyx's care. While it may not seem like much, I'm sure to the Thomassee family it is more than they could have imagined. I have a feeling that that total will grow rapidly as the end of the month approaches and payday arrives. I've also heard mention of a bake sale to help raise more funds for the veterinarian bill so I'm willing to bet the out of pocket expense the family will have to endure will prove minimal. I haven't heard anything regarding what Security Forces have planned to help the family of their lost member but I am sure it will prove equally amazing.

Now - on to the negative. Hope you're ready.

Over and over again, I get irritated when I see posts asking for re-homing of a pet. Going along the same lines as my post last night, I believe when you decide to bring a pet into your home, you're taking on the responsibility of caring for that pet for the remainder of it's natural life. In the case of an animal adopted from a shelter, we're opening our homes to an animal who most likely had a pretty rough start in life in the hopes the animal will never have to suffer again. Now,  I understand there are cases where keeping a beloved pet is not an option - PCSing overseas for example, moving to a base where a particular breed has been banned or even unknown medical issues that arose after bringing home that cute mass of fur.  But seriously - You ladies have some seriously screwed up reasons for abandoning your pets and if it were up to me you would never be allowed another.  Probably the one that I couldn't help but shake my head at was the case of a grey male cat. Day one has one person advertising the cat - that the cat did not get along with her other cat. So someone posts about wanting the cat. The very next day, the person who took the cat starts posting looking for a home for the exact same cat because it doesn't get along with her cat. Seriously? I'm a cat owner. I have always had a multi-cat home and any cat owner knows it takes more than one day for cats to acclimate to each other. Do these people honestly think you bring a new cat into your home and they are going to sit down together with a cup of tea and have a social?  Maybe play a little bunco?  So this poor animal has been thrown in with not one but two cats in two different households in a matter of hours?? I want to pull a Bill Engvall- you know, walk up to the offender and say "here's your sign" as I hand them a sign that says "I'm Stupid".



But the idiot that takes the cake posted yesterday. Originally she posted an 8 month old female Aussie Sheppard mix claiming she did not have the yard for the dog. The pup is not up to date on its shots (of course).  Strike one.  Today, the very same girl posted on another Edwards FB page - another dog  - this time a 2 year old purebred boxer that she claims she did not have time to take care of.  Strike two.  Looking at her facebook page, this isn't her first rodeo - she is a repeat offender . In June of last year she posted an ad both on facebook and craigslist for a free 3 month old male puppy that she claimed she "rescued" from the pound - she ended up returning the pooch to the pound.  Hunny, if this is your idea of rescuing an animal, please, in the future, refrain from rescuing again.. Strike 3 and you're out!   But wait, it gets better. Once again, at the exact same day she posted to give away the 3 month old puppy, she also advertised for free a 10 month old female pooch - that one she gave away. She claimed the dog was nervous. Well no shit Sherlock - I'd be nervous too if I saw you coming to adopt me.  The irony of the situation is at the same time she posted a copy of her report card (yup, the girl had just graduated HS at the time) and she was studying Veterinarian Science. Lord I hope this girl never works in a veterinarian clinic.  Thank God she cannot give her kid away as quickly as she gives her dogs away. You, my friend, are beyond an idiot but instead you are an immature twit.  Maybe, just maybe, if you stopped constantly taking slutty selfies that would make Amanda Bynes look prudish, you might have time for your poor dogs. Do everyone a favor, especially the animal population, and never ever even think about adopting another animal at any point in this lifetime.

Here's your sign!  

No comments:

Post a Comment