Friday, August 16, 2013

Like Bob Barker says : Please remember to have your Pets Spayed or Neutered - Or Else!

Time for a new blog. I'm sure some have thought I have forgotten about you guys, I have not. I'm still around but work and life dictate when I'm able to write. Oh, responsibilities, you have a fine way of interfering with any fun that I have.

Topic today is probably going to piss a few people off and I am fine with that. Getting pissed off about something is healthy – it means that you're passionate about something. Some of you are going to agree with me as well and that's fine too. Either way, this blog is how I feel about things that occur on this base so I tell it the way that I see it.

This is how I see it:

Now, I'll be the first to admit that there are some piss poor pet owners on this base. There's a number of you who really shouldn't have pets. Pets are a responsibility and the decision to adopt a pet is one that should never be taken lightly. Many things should be considered when you adopt a new pet to bring in your home – do you have the time to actually take care and socialize that pet? Do you have the room for that pet because small cute puppies often grow up to be large dogs who need a yard and exercise for example. So many times people see a cute puppy and make a spur of the moment decision to bring it home without considering these factors and before you know it, the pup is being rehomed from no fault of its own but that of the irresponsible owner. Yes, these types of situations happen and its unfortunate. But, this is not what I want to write about.

Just One Example of a typical "free pet" post response
What grinds my gears is to see when people post on FB asking to rehome their pet and someone jumps their ass for it. Now, there are the “habitual rehomers” that do post and I can understand why someone would jump their ass – I mean, if you've rehomed 10 pets in 12 months then you need to stop getting dogs. In this case, the problem is not the dog but the owner. However, I'm speaking in regards to people who post one post saying they're cat had kittens and are looking for a home for them. Or the one time poster of someone who has a dog they need to rehome for one reason or another. There's always a handful of people who have to jump on the threads and bitch people out for either not having their pet fixed or for getting an animal without consideration for the long term responsibility.  When someone posts “looking for a forever home for my pet ASAP” with no other details, we don't know the details of the why.

This burns my ass because I've been in that situation before and had someone bitched me out about not having a pet fixed, I would have been beyond pissed. I'm a strong proponent for getting your pets fixed, you'll hear no arguments out of me here. However, guess what people? SHIT HAPPENS!! Yup, it happens a lot. I've had numerous cats in my lifetime and I've had a litter kittens born under my care. I once adopted an already pregnant cat and found loving homes for the offspring. Two months after she had her kittens, she was fixed. If someone bitched me out for being “irresponsible” when I was trying to find homes for those kittens, I would have been pretty livid. 


Here's a news flash to you bitches – get off your fucking high horses and shut your damn traps. If you don't know the situation, shut the fuck up, pure and simple. Not every pet post needs to be a teaching opportunity for you to preach about responsibility and give you the right to make people feel like shit when they have kittens or puppies. In your perfect world, every animal would be fixed but if that were the case, there would no longer be cats and dogs without a 500 dollar price tag since the only animals breeding would be purebred and expensive -which would also comes along with all the health problems many purebred animals have – making pet ownership only available to those in the higher tax brackets. Yes, there's plenty of unwanted pets out there, I understand this and animals repopulate at alarming speeds. So do some humans yet nobody's screaming “fix that woman” every time another baby is born.

Just shut the fuck up already – we all know to fix our pets. Hell, its even on The Price is Right . Bitching people out is not going to change things and it sure the hell isn't productive to an already born animal.



Then, there's the people who bitch out people when they rehome an existing pet. Again, without knowing the situation, these bitches (usually the same bitches who always post the links or bitches about fixing your pet) always jump and say some shit like “you shouldn't ever get another pet as you're an irresponsible pet owner”. Again, bitches, you don't know the situation. I for one don't always understand the reasoning for rehoming a pet just because you're PCSing – I've done it with pets and it turned out fine, however unless I know the whole story, I'm not going to cast judgment. Instead, I hope that the pet finds a good home. But that's not good enough for you bitches – nope, you got to jump on a thread and once again berate a person for their decision. Here's another news flash – be glad they are looking for a good home for their pet and not just dropping them off in the desert to become coyote fodder. When you see a post of a pet looking for a new home, actually look at the picture. Does the pet look healthy? Does it look well cared for? Is its weight appropriate for its size? If the pet looks like its been well cared for, then stop for a moment and consider that the owner has taken the time to care for and love the pet and it is probably hard for them to let the animal go but situations have deemed it necessary. Maybe in the case of a PCS, the pet is elderly and couldn't make the travel without being a risk to its life so the owner would rather part with the pet then to risk its life. Maybe the owner got the pet years ago, loved and cared for it, but then had a child who is allergic – last I checked you can't get rid of the kid. I'm not saying that if someone posts “I need to get rid of this dog because my yard isn't big enough” and they post a picture of a huge horse of a dog sitting in a patch of grass the size of a postage stamp that maybe one suggests in the future they get a smaller dog that doesn't need much room but instead of bitching people out and giving them a lecture on almost every post, have some tact and just shut the fuck up. 

Hell, you even criticize people when they don't feed their pets food that you feel is adequate - Shame on anyone who feeds their pet "Purina" - Don't you know you should be cooking wild game for your pets?  Anything less is considered animal abuse in the eyes of the lecturers. Fuck people - if a family can't afford to eat steak every fucking day, do you honestly think they can afford to feed their pet steak every day? I've yet to see one pet food that anyone of these people actually approve of - you can't buy shit at the commissary or they bitch, you can't buy shit from the vet or they bitch. Nothing is good enough for your pet except slaughtering a cow in your own back yard and feeding it to your pet.  Shame on you if you don't spend all that extra money on pet food - you shouldn't own a pet. Come on people - stop making people feel guilty because they can't afford a 50 dollar bag of Blue Buffalo dog food and instead opt for a 15 dollar bag of whatever at the Commissary -and before I get bitched out, my cat eats Taste of the Wild so we'll nip that argument in the bud right now. Yes, some people are going to feed their pets "inferior" pet foods and that might be all they can afford. Get over it - feed your pet whatever the hell you want and mind your own damn business. You bitching and posting about how dangerous commercial pet food will not change the fact that some people are on a very small fixed income but still want to own pets.  Hell, I find it more offensive you dress your pets up in pink fru fru designer outfits when they already have a perfectly fine fur coat. Halloween is fine but on an every day basis? It looks fucking stupid.

For your dog's sake, buy a baby doll or something if you need to dress something up.


Here's another thing. It's fair to say there are many people who need to learn the difference between a pet and a kid. Yes, I understand, you love your pet, I love my pets. However, your “fur babies” are still animals and there's a number of you who seem to forget this fact. No matter how diligent an owner may be, dogs are dogs and occasionally escape their confines. This is one of those things that hasn't necessary been bred out of dogs, they wander if given the opportunity. On this base, there are dogs who have been known to jump the fences, dig holes under the fences or squeeze through the smallest gap of those fences. Dogs also have something known as prey drive and needless to say this base has a shit ton of squirrels running around teasing the base dogs. All it takes is one squirrel to
Those damn Slutty Squirrels
give your dog that “come hither” look, shake its bushy tail in a seductive manner (you know how those slutty squirrels are) and before you know it, your dog is like your husband at a titty bar. Dogs are dogs, they are not kids. You may “train” your dog to stay in the confines of your fence but if given the opportunity and the stimuli, your dog is going to do what dogs do, they are going to escape. I'm sure when this happens, the owner is scared for the safety of the dog. Many times they often have to deal with the embarrassment of their dog's (and sometimes their cat's) photo plastered all over the Edwards pages. While I'm sure these owners are very grateful when someone houses their pet long enough for them to retrieve it, I'm sure its still embarrassing as all fuck for them. And yet, some of you bitches decide to take this one step further and give your lecture about the owner being “irresponsible”. Seriously, keep your fucking mouth shut for Christ's sake. Get off your high horse and stop giving unnecessary and unwanted lectures – all you do is piss people off, cause drama and look like a self-righteous bitch.



As said, I understand pets are a responsibility and we should love and take care of them. I also understand they are a lifetime commitment. But, I also understand that no matter what you say to people on Facebook, you're not going to change the situation. Take your unsolicited advice and shove it right up your ass. People don't need to be lectured every time they post – and while some people may say that this post is “unsolicited advice” I'd like to point out that nobody forced you to come to this blog site and read this – you came here knowing this blog is me posting my opinion. However, someone posting looking for a home for an animal is not posting looking for someone to post about their irresponsibility as a pet owner.

I have never seen anyone respond positively to one of these posters – I've never seen anyone say “oh, thank you so much for letting me know I should have had my pet fixed before it had a litter of unwanted babies. I've now seen the errors of my ways and shall promptly make an appointment at the vet at my earliest convenience.”. I've never seen anyone who's pet got loose say “Thank you for pointing out that I should do everything in my nature to make sure my pet never accidentally gets out of its yard. I can't believe I have been so irresponsible as a pet owner and I will promptly fix the problem.” Instead, I've seen a lot of “I didn't post this for your negativity. Please get off my thread” and shit to that nature. 


Take a hint people – nobody wants your lectures and nobody wants your negativity. The only thing you accomplish posting this shit is pissing people off.

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. My cat has eaten a variety of cat foods throughout her life...from prescription vet food to whatever was on sale at Wal-mart...she is now 21 & apparently isn't going anywhere any time soon. I also laugh when people lecture on pet food since my cat is older than dirt and has eaten it all..including cheese puffs, donuts and mac n cheese lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Jill, I was reading my husband tonights blog and saw your comment and had to laugh.. My cat Stormy lived to be 20 (we called me Methuselah) until he went and took a nap and never woke up.. 20 years of eating whatever was on sale - Friskies, Kit and Kaboodle, walmart brand.... we always joked he stuck around so long entirely for the food.. Lol

    ReplyDelete